Exam Board: OCR

  • How do computer languages work and how are they used in the real world?
  • How is computer software designed?
  • What is a computer network and why are they important?
  • How do processors work?
  • You may wish to consider studying A Level Maths or Statistics alongside this subject to help you develop the necessary mathematical skills required to study Computer Science.

 

Entry Requirements

You must have achieved at least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including Maths and English Language, with at least a grade 6 in GCSE Maths.

 

Is this course for me?

  • You want to learn more about how software is designed and implemented in a programming language.
  • You prefer to learn how Internet technologies and processors work rather than spending time designing web pages.
  • You want to develop problem-solving skills.
  • You want to concentrate on the fundamentals of hardware and software, networking and practical systems development.
  • You have good mathematical skills and want to use it to learn a programming language to code your own project in the second year.
  • You are keen to do extra reading outside of class, making use of the Department’s specialised collection of books, magazines and journals.

 

Where does it lead?

After successfully completing the A Level in Computer Science, you may consider developing your studies at a higher level. Computer Science and IT courses are very popular subject choices at degree level with possibilities including Computer Science, Multimedia, Web Design, Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Business Systems and Electronics. 


Job opportunities in Computer Science are excellent and your skills could lead you to employment anywhere in the world.

 

What will I learn?

Year 1

Computing Principles

You will gain an appreciation of computing fundamentals, including hardware, software, the presentation, structure and management of data, how data is transmitted and networked, the life cycle of systems development, the characteristics of information systems, and the implications of computer use.

Algorithms & Problem Solving

You will be introduced to Visual Basic. You will use it to create small, easy to code programmes that will illustrate basic concepts in the understanding of how computer languages work and are used.

 

Year 2

Computer Systems

You will learn about the function of operating systems, the function and purpose of translators, how computer architectures are structured, how data is represented, how data is structured and manipulated, high level language programming paradigms, low level languages and how databases function.

Algorithms & Programming

You will build upon your experience gained in the previous programming module to build up to more complex examples that will allow you to develop many of the skills and techniques you will need to attempt the online exam.

Programming Project

You will apply principles of computational thinking to a practical coding problem. To do this you will analyse, design, develop, test, evaluate and document a program written in MS Visual Studio. This module prepares candidates for any course at university that involves technical projects, especially those that are coded. The skills developed would be beneficial to anyone wanting to work in software development.

 

How will I be assessed?

In year 2, you will undertake a practical coursework project which will make up 20% of the overall assessment. The remaining 80% will be assessed by written examination.

 

What activities can I get involved in?

The College has lots of exciting enrichment and CV building opportunities including the chance to earn the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, learn a new skill, learn a language, join a club, take up or develop a sport or take on a new challenge. See the College Prospectus for further information about what is on offer.

 

*We have made every effort to ensure that the information displayed is accurate. The College reserves the right to make changes and cannot accept liability arising out of, or in connection with any revision. 
Back to top