Financial support for you
2018 - 2019
If you choose to study at Birkenhead Sixth Form College, we will do everything possible to support you.
There are several elements to the financial support available:
- Guaranteed Bursary of £1,200* for students in most need and who meet the criteria
- Income-assessed Bursary for students who meet The College’s Income Assessed Bursary Criteria
- Childcare Support Bursary for students who are eligible for childcare support payments
- Hardship Fund – an emergency fund for students who experience short-term financial hardship and are struggling to meet costs associated with College
*All figures are based on the financial support available in 2017/18. These figures may change for the 2018/19 academic year.
Application forms are available from the College's Finance Office or at Reception.
1) Guaranteed Bursary
Those most in need will be eligible for a Guaranteed Bursary of £1,200 a year plus a free college meal (value of £2.41 per day) and a travel pass. You will be eligible for this bursary if you are:
- In care or a care leaver
- A young person receiving income support or Universal Credit (e.g. young parents, young people living independently, young people who are registered as disabled)
- A young person receiving both Disability Living Allowance / Personal Independence Payment and Employment Support Allowance / Universal Credit
You will be entitled to the Income-Assessed Bursary if your Parents/Guardians earn less than £18,000 per year (annual household income inclusive of any benefits received).
This will be:
A free college meal (value of £2.41 per day) Plus one of the following:
- A Merseytravel annual travel pass (either Solo or Trio B1 Zone)
Other travel options may be available - a valid written reason should be submitted with a completed application
- A bus pass to cover the college’s own direct bus services from Heswall/ Pensby/ Neston and South Wirral areas with 5 termly payments of £20
- £250 payable in 5 x £50 instalments throughout the year
Payments for part-time students will be pro-rota
* All bursary options are subject to satisfactory attendance and attitude to learning
This is available to students who are eligible for childcare support payments; you must meet the following criteria:
- Be enrolled on an accredited course
- If the course is a Level 2 qualification you must be aged 19+ and fully funded
- If the course is a Level 3 qualification you must be aged between 19+ and in receipt of an Advanced Learning Loan
- Provide evidence that you are paying for childcare support and that your childcare support is Ofsted registered. Evidence should be provided for each child.
- Achieve 95% attendance
Payment of £200 per child is payable in 4 instalments paid throughout the year subject to the completion of a Childcare Support Application form.
What do I need to do to apply for a Bursary?
Apply now if you meet the eligibility criteria for a Guaranteed Bursary or an Income-assessed Bursary. You need to complete an application form and return it to Finance as soon as possible. Application forms are available from the Finance Office or at Reception. Please make sure that you include the appropriate evidence with your application.
We will assess your application and send a “Notice of Entitlement” explaining how much bursary you will receive.
RETURNING STUDENTS ONLY – Applications should be submitted before end of term to guarantee that your bursary will be available at the start of term. New student applications will be accepted but not be processed until enrolment has taken place.
How will I get my Bursary?
The Bursary will be paid in instalments directly into the young person’s bank account:
· Guaranteed Bursary will be paid in weekly instalments
· Income-assessed Bursary will be paid in 5 instalments throughout the year
What can the money be spent on?
The money is for transport, books, meals or other course-related costs needed to help you to succeed at College.
Will I automatically get this money / bus pass?
No, all bursary options are subject to satisfactory attendance and attitude to learning.