Exam Board: Pearson Edexcel
- Explore different social media websites, the ways in which they can be used and the potential pitfalls when using them for business purposes.
- Develop and implement a plan to use social media strategies for business purposes to achieve specific aims and objectives.
- Study the design, creation, testing and evaluation of a relational database system to manage information.
- Create efficient data designs to implement an effective and useful database and test this solution to evaluate the effectiveness of your database solution.
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including Maths and English Language.
Is this course for me?
- The Extended Certificate is equivalent to one A Level subject option block.
- You want the opportunity to gain the practical knowledge and skills you’ll need to start a career in IT.
- You want to develop your skills using industry standard software, time management, report and presentation preparation, creativity skills, team work, investigation and research.
- The course has been recently revised to specifically include the latest hardware and software technologies, in order to give students the most up to date qualification possible.
Where does it lead?
The Extended Certificate IT course offers a good foundation for many careers and it also provides an extremely valuable addition to many other career routes. Having studied this course you might consider apprenticeships in industry or taking a trainee post as an ICT technician or operator. Many students also choose to progress onto Higher Education and there are a wide variety of courses to suit a number of preferences including computer science, software engineering, business information systems and computer games design.
What will I learn?
Creating systems to manage information
10 hours of supervised assessment in which you will apply your knowledge and understanding of the IT sector to design, create, test and evaluate a relational database system that manages information.
Using Social Media in Business
You will explore how businesses use social media to promote their products and services. You will also implement social media activities in a business to meet requirements.
Information Technology Systems
This exam assesses your understanding of: the relationships between IT systems hardware and software; the way systems work individually and together; the relationship between the user and the system; IT systems issues and their impact on organisations and individuals.
You will investigate how data modelling can be used to solve problems. You will then design and implement a data model to meet client requirements.
How will I be assessed?
Year 1 is assessed through a mixture of externally marked controlled assessments (50%) and coursework (50%).
Year 2 is assessed through a mixture of external exam (67%) and coursework (33%).
What activities can I get Involved in?
The College has lots of exciting enrichment and CV building opportunities. See the College Prospectus for further information about what is on offer.