Exam Board: AQA

  • What will a warmer planet mean for vulnerable communities and ecosystems?
  • How can poverty be tackled when populations continue to rise?
  • What can cities do to remain vibrant and prosperous?
  • How can safe and reliable supplies of food be maintained in an uncertain world?
  • What can be done to manage the growing risks from natural hazards?

 

Entry Requirements

You must have 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above including Maths and English Language, with at least a 5 in Maths and a 5 in Geography.

 

Is this course for me?

  • You take an interest in the world around you and why it looks the way it does.
  • You should be prepared to see both sides of an issue and understand different people’s points of view.
  • You are someone who likes asking questions and finding the answers.
  • You are interested in environmental issues and current affairs.
  • You want to balance your A Level choices by studying a subject which contains elements of the Sciences and the Humanities.

 

Where does it lead?

Geographers are recognised by both Universities and employers as people who understand how the world works, can solve problems and think for themselves.  It is one of a select number of ‘facilitating subjects’- those identified by the Russell Group of leading Universities as equipping students with the skills for success in Higher Education.Career options are varied and can include urban planning and design, travel and tourism,  conservation work, environmental management and surveying amongst others. You may consider studying Geography at University, but an A Level in Geography also prepares you well for many other related subjects and a wide range of careers.

 

What will I learn?

Year 1

Water and Carbon Cycles

This topic develops understanding of two major elements of the Earth’s natural environment. It includes study of the processes driving changes in water and carbon cycling, as well as the impact of these changes on people.

Coastal Systems and Landscapes

You will focus on coastal zones, which are dynamic environments in which landscapes develop. You will develop observation skills, measurement and geospatial mapping skills and statistical skills arising from field work.

Changing Places

You will investigate two places, one local and one distant. The focus of the topic is on people’s experience of places, the meanings that places have and how social and economic changes affect people’s lives..

 

Year 2

Hazards

You will be investigating why some locations are more at risk of hazards, why they sometimes develop into disasters and how these risks can be reduced. You will examine tectonic hazards, tropical storms and wildfires.

Population and Environment

You will explore the relationships between key aspects of physical geography and population numbers, population health and well-being, levels of economic development and the role and impact of the natural environment.

Global System & Global Governance

The final topic focuses on the forces of globalisation that increasingly shape the world we live in. Flows of people, money, ideas and technology are examined with a focus on wider trade. A study of Antarctica is used to show how global co-operation can be achieved.

 

How will I be assessed?

At the end of Year 1, you will conduct an in-depth geographical investigation which will make up 20% of your qualification. The remaining 80% will be assessed by written examination.

 

What activities can I get involved in?

Fieldwork is an essential element of the A Level course and participation is required by all students. You will take part in a short residential field visit in each year which will involve a financial contribution from you. The trips are likely to be to North Wales or Cumbria to study coastal systems and landscapes, and to Liverpool as part of your coursework investigation. Further details will be confirmed once the course has commenced. Further day and half-day visits will also occur to enhance the study of other topics. Enrichment opportunities are provided by external speakers and include specialist examination preparation sessions led by experienced examiners.

 

*We have made every effort to ensure that the information displayed is accurate. The College reserves the right to make changes and cannot accept liability arising out of, or in connection with any revision. 
Back to top